In honor of national Pi day, here is a delectable recipe for its edible equivalent.
- 30 chocolate wafers
- 2 tablespoon(s) chopped pitted dates
- 2 tablespoon(s) water
- 1 tablespoon(s) canola oil
- 1 tablespoon(s) brewed coffee
- 1 tablespoon(s) water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) unflavored gelatin
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup(s) 1% milk
- 8 tablespoon(s) packed light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup(s) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 ounce(s) bittersweet (not unsweetened) chocolate
- 1 1/2 teaspoon(s) vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon(s) dried egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cream of tartar
- Chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Coat a 9-inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- To prepare crust: Combine chocolate wafers and dates in a food processor; process until finely chopped. Add water and oil and process until moistened. Press into the bottom and sides of the prepared pan.
- Bake the crust until crisp, about 10 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare filling and garnish: Combine coffee and water in a small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin on top and set aside to soften.
- Whisk egg, milk, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, and cocoa in a small saucepan until smooth. Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F, 5 to 7 minutes. Do not let the mixture come to a simmer. Remove from the heat. Add the reserved gelatin mixture; stir until dissolved. Add chocolate and vanilla, stirring until melted. Set aside to cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes.
- Place egg whites and cream of tartar in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on low speed until frothy. Increase speed to high and beat until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 5 tablespoons brown sugar, beating until the meringue is smooth and glossy.
- Whisk one-fourth of the meringue into the chocolate mixture until smooth. Scrape chocolate mixture into the remaining meringue and use a whisk to incorporate it with a folding motion. Spoon into the crust and chill, uncovered, until set, about 3 hours.
- If desired, garnish with chocolate shavings before serving.